Ask About Fly Fishing

Monday, January 23, 2012

Perch, Perch, Perch 1/22/12

The fishing trip today took place at Lake Bailey, just a few miles west of Copper Harbor. Earlier this week, the word at the bait shop was that a gentlemen had caught a fair amount of very, decent sized perch out at Lake Bailey. Ten plus inches! This was very exciting news since I have never had much luck fishing for perch because they always ended up being tiny.
Upon my arrival, there was evidence around the boat launch of other people who had been here to fish, but nobody appeared to be out on the lake. I followed some old tracks looking for a spot indicating some serious action. I walked to the end of the tracks and found several spots that looked like holes in the ice, so I tried my luck.


There was a blisteringly cold wind but definitely lots of perch! The depth was only about six feet, but I had constant activity, quite often hooking two at a time on my perch rig. However, there was nothing that spectacular in the size. There were a few that looked as if they were reaching keeper size but not quite. They took both wax worms and perch minnows.
Anyone looking for big pike might want to try hooking a little perch to a tip-up, because there are a great deal of pike in this lake as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment