Ask About Fly Fishing

Monday, August 13, 2012

Fishing on the St. Croix River

This past weekend, my girlfriend and I had the pleasure of heading up to Wisconsin to visit Taylor’s Falls and St. Croix. We got to stop and see fish at the hatchery and also do a little fishing on the river itself. It was a real treat to fish on such a big, open river and the scenery was amazing. There was a lot of wildlife present. It even appeared that there was a juvenile eagle flying around that looked like it was trying to catch fish from the river.

Some real excitement came when we started fishing. I was casting from shallow water out into some riffles using just a small spinner. I was weary of using anything with large hooks because of all the wood and rocks along the riffle. However, when I had gotten my second cast reeled to within 10 feet of myself, I felt a huge tug and at first I thought I snagged something. But what ever it was started thrashing and I saw a flash of white and quite a large tail and then it got off. I never got it close enough to identify but what ever it was must have been at least 24 inches.

Shortly after, my girlfriend started fishing but we didn’t have much luck after that. We got one other fish that wasn’t nearly as big that looked like some sort of silver, bassy-panfish. There were also several fish jumping throughout the river. It was a lot of fun and hopefully we can get out again to try for some more fish.

Lots of Fingerling TroutYearling troutBig Brown





Enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment