Ask About Fly Fishing

Friday, January 18, 2013

Walleye Season Begins!

So, today I made a pit stop after school to pick up bait from Northwoods in Hancock, and then my girlfriend and I headed off to Gratiot Lake to hopefully catch some walleye. Everything today just seemed to feel good, and after talking briefly with the clerk at Northwoods, I also picked up a few new jigs to try on the ice today.

We got onto the ice a around three thirty and immediately put a few tip-ups down. Then we headed off to deeper water. I put down a jigging rod with one of the new jigs. It's called a forage minnow, and I put a suck on the hook of the jig. My girlfriend got a bite within just a few minutes, which was very exciting, but we could not get anything to stick. Finally, just before dark, I caught two walleye on the jig line and missed a third. The bites were very light and hard to feel. What was surprising, however, was that they never set off a tip-up, which leads me to believe I had them too far off bottom. All in all, it was a great evening and a great start to the fishing season.

Good Luck! Enjoy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment